Be part of the BIAZA BioBlitz weekend
29th April – 1st May, 2023.
The Wildheart Animal Sanctuary has been participating in the BIAZA “Spotted on Site” where wildlife parks, zoos and sanctuaries around the country record wild species on their own site, this is not including their own, but species that occur naturally on their site. This has been done in collaboration with iNaturalistUK and the National Biodiversity Network Trust (NBN Trust).
This campaign aims to find and record native flora and fauna – from birches to bees, which will contribute to and benefit science. It will also help to identify which species call our site home and ultimately enable us to protect and conserve them.
So far we are doing really well and currently we are on the leaderboard.
Biodiversity leaderboard – updated 14/04/2023. For live updated information click here.
To date this has been focussed on information provided by our staff and volunteers and we have also extended it to a couple of our large school groups.
Getting involved at the Sanctuary
We are inviting visitors to join us for the BIAZA BioBlitz weekend 29th April – 1st May, 2023. This is a one-off weekend where we are able to bring all hands on deck for native species recording on our site! You will be able to help us collect the information as we aim to demonstrate the biodiversity on our site, and of course, get to the top of the leaderboard!
Why join the Bioblitz?
Its an opportunity for all to learn about our wonderful native plants and animals that may go unnoticed, but that contribute to our biodiversity
You will help to directly benefit citizen science – allowing organisations like BIAZA to better understand and support our native species
You could help us go into the record books to be featured as a site having a wealth of biodiversity
How to take part?
Come and visit us at the Sanctuary, and our team on-site will guide you through the process.
This is how it works….
- Download the iNaturalist App on your Android or Apple device.
- Use the app to photograph and record native life, including fauna and flora, you see during your visit (not the Sanctuary animals!)
- Once you have uploaded your photo, search for or select a species from the list of suggestions.
- Don’t forget to add our location! Search for and select ‘Wildheart Animal Sanctuary’.
- Zoom in until the accuracy (‘Acc.’ at the top of the screen) is below 20.
- You can also pin the location by pressing the three vertical dots in the top right corner, to make it easier to select again in the future.
- Any flora/fauna you log will automatically be added to the Sanctuary’s project page.